The Indira Gandhi National Open University has introduced a new programme i.e. Ignou post graduate diploma in applied statistics. It was started from January 2015 academic cycle. It has been offered by School of Science (SOS).
The programme code is PGDAST. It has been developed with the aim to provide the learners with the knowledge about the use of statistical schools to analyze industrial, social and business data and provide them the hands-on training.
The Post Graduate Diploma in applied statistics is started by the university to meet the demand of professionals in the field of statistics. The need of such professionals has been increasing day by day.
The statistics have various applications in the rural and urban planning, data monitoring, natural resources management, management of industrial and business problems and social and agricultural development, etc.
The discipline has been introduced in the university education to create professionals and graduates aspiring for employment in industries (e.g., software, pharmaceutical industries) National Laboratories, R & D Organisations and Academic Institutions.
The main objectives of this programme are mentioned below:
- To provide the students with the core knowledge about the use of statistical applications.
- To educate students about the use of statistics in applied sciences and industries.
- To acquaint learners with the hands-on training in selected areas of statistics.
- To help learners to choose the appropriate software required for statistical applications in various
It is available in few regional centres only.The names of these regional centres are mentioned below: Varanasi, Noida, Madurai, Dehradun, Delhi-1. It is being offered in both January and July cycle of admissions.
- Medium of Instruction: At the moment the programme is available in English medium only.
- Eligibility Criteria: The candidate seeking admission in the PGDAST should be a graduate in any discipline from a recognised university with a minimum 50% aggregate marks.
- Duration: To complete the Post Graduate Diploma in Applied Statistics, the minimum time span is 1 year and the maximum time is 3 years.
- Fees Structure: The total fee is Rs.6000/-. (Please contact your regional centre for latest fees as it may change with the course of time.)
Syllabus & Courses:
It is 32 credits programme which comprises of 9 courses of which 6 courses are core (compulsory) and 3 courses are in the Industrial Statistics specialisation. All of these courses are mentioned below:
|S.No.||Course Title||Core (Compulsory)||Credits||Code|
|1.||Foundation in Mathematics and Statistics||Core||4||MST-001|
|6.||Basic Statistics Lab||Core||2||MSTL-001|
|Courses For Industrial Statistics Specialisation|
|7.||Industrial Statistics-I||Specialised Courses to be taken together||4||MSTE-001|
|8.||Industrial Statistics -II||4||MSTE-002|
|9.||Industrial Statistics Lab||2||MSTL-002|
Special Instructions: There are few conditions which apply in the first year when anybody enroll for the programme. These are as follows:
- For January Cycle, the students will be allowed to appear in the term-end examinations held in June of the same year for only the courses MST-001, MST-002, MST-003 and MST-004. You can appear in the exam for the remaining courses from MST-005 to MSTL-002 only in the month of December in the same year.
- For July Cycle, the students will be allowed to appear in the term-end examinations (TEE) held in December of the same year for only the courses MST-001, MST-002, MST-003 and MST-004. You can appear in the exam for the remaining courses from MST-005 to MSTL-002 only in the month of June in the next year.