The Indira Gandhi National Open University is one of the largest distance universities in the world.It was established in 1985 by an act of Parliament.The university was formed to achieve certain objectives.The main objectives of the IGNOU are as follows:
- The first and main objective to establish this distance education university is to democratize higher education by bringing it to the doorsteps of the learners.
- Another biggest objective to establish the university is to provide high-quality education to people all over the country and abroad irrespective of age, region, and gender.
- To provide requirement based academic programmes by giving professional and vocational orientation to the courses.
- To maintain standards and promote distance education in India.
Do you want to read about Bachelor Degree Courses?
- This distance education university has international jurisdiction.It is providing education in abroad through its overseas Partners, Institutions, and Centres.
- The university provides very cost-effective and modular approach to programmes to cater the needs of students from very far flung areas and poor people who cannot afford higher education due to high fee value.
- The university provides nationwide student support services network through its 67 Regional centres and over 3000 learner support centres.
- It has very flexible admission rules and flexibility in terms of place, pace, and duration of the study.
- The University is making use of latest information and communication technologies to provide access to higher education.
Achievements of IGNOU:
The university has achieved a lot after its establishment as one of the largest distance education universities.Some of its achievements are mentioned below:
- It is the very first University which has launched convergence as well as Community College Scheme in India.
- With the time span after its emergence, it has become the largest Open University in the world.Also, the UNESCO had declared the Indira Gandhi National Open University as the largest institution of higher education learning in the world in 2010.
- The university has been awarded from Commonwealth of Learning with the Recognition as Centre of Excellence in distance education in 1993 and also with Award of Excellence for distance education materials in 1999.
- The student enrollment in the starting days was not up to the mark but the enrollment has almost become doubled in four years from 1.5 million to over 3 million.The university has the largest network of Learning Support System.
- The university provides students the study material at their homes by post.
- IGNOU has increased the number of academic programmes from three hundred thirty-eight to Four Hundred Ninty within a year.It’s a very big achievement.
- The University takes only forty-five days to declare any exam result which is too fast if we see the number of programmes and courses which are huge in number.